Enjoy historic Oakland Cemetery after dark at Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween Tours, a seasonal tradition! A costumed docent guides you through the cemetery’s beautifully-lit Victorian gardens as you experience the stories of Atlanta’s sons and daughters come to life. Capturing the Spirit is held over two weekends in October: Oct. 21-23 and Oct. 27-29. Capturing the Spirit of Oakland is family-friendly, but is recommended for children 8 and up.
Tickets go on sale to Historic Oakland Foundation members on July 1, and to the general public on July 15. Please ensure you’ve carefully selected your preferred tour date and time before completing your transaction, as no refunds or exchanges will be issued.
Purchase a souvenir Capturing the Spirit of Oakland t-shirt at the time of your ticket transaction. The shirt features a unique new design for 2016 and Oakland’s “surprise” featured residents are listed on the back. Shirts are available for PRE-SALE ONLY, and will be available for pick up on the evening of your tour.
- Tour tickets are for timed entry. Please ensure that you’ve carefully selected your preferred tour date and time before completing your transaction, as no refunds or exchanges will be issued.
- Tours begin within 15-20 minutes of ticketed time. Upon arrival, attendees will have time to purchase refreshments, use the restroom, and enjoy musical performances before queuing to start the tour. To ensure line wait time is minimal, ticket holders must arrive at the scheduled entry time.
- Tour entrance is at the Oakland Avenue main gate only. The pedestrian entry on Memorial Drive will be closed.
- After your ticket is scanned, follow the lit path to the Bell Tower, where tours begin.
- Remain on the lighted pathway. Historic Oakland Foundation is not responsible for injuries resulting from leaving the lighted path.
- The tour lasts approximately 1 hour.
- The walking route is approximately 1 mile in length and over sometimes uneven pathways. Please be sure that you are medically capable of navigating the entire route.
- Bring a flashlight and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Beer, wine, soft drinks and water will be available for sale.
- Shop Oakland’s Museum Shop for a great selection memory-worthy souvenirs.
- Due to the historic nature of Oakland Cemetery, not all areas of the park are ADA accessible.
- Please make your purchase carefully. No refunds or exchanges.
- Should the evening’s event be cancelled because of inclement weather, each ticket holder will receive a pass for two guided walking tours of Historic Oakland Cemetery.
- Up to 25 tickets may be purchased in one transaction.
- Space is limited and tickets do sell out early.
- Limited free parking is available near the main entrance and on neighboring streets.
- Due to the event, parking inside the cemetery is not possible.
- Event attendees are encouraged to take MARTA to the King Memorial Station, use a car sharing service, or alternate means of transportation.